Chennai: Decomposed body found in General Hospital 15 days after patient went missing | Chennai News – Times of India

CHENNAI: Two weeks after she went ‘missing’ from the third-floor corona ward of the Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital, a 41-year-old Covid-19 patient was found dead in a decomposed state on the eighth floor of the same building on Tuesday.
Her husband had lodged a missing complaint with hospital authorities and police on May 24, but M Sunitha, a homemaker, remained untraceable.
While state health minister Ma Subramanian said CCTV cameras were available on these floors to monitor and track people, police inquiry revealed the cameras were defunct. Now, police cannot trace how, when or why the ‘missing’ woman went to the eighth floor. E Theranirajan, hospital dean, said, “We had intimated police that she was missing from the second day of admission.” “We have no clue how Sunitha, who was admitted at the third floor, reached eighth floor,” hospital dean said.
Sunitha, a mother of a 17-year-old boy, tested positive for covid-19 on May 22 and got admitted at RGGGH the next day.
Her husband Mouli, an electronics professor at a private engineering college in Andhra Pradesh, had gone home and returned to the hospital on May 24 with food, only to be told by hospital authorities that she was ‘missing’.
As the hospital staff had no idea about her whereabouts, Mouli filed a complaint with police outpost in RGGGH and also started inquiring with friends and relatives. Since total lockdown was imposed, Mouli largely contacted them over phone from his Tambaram residence.
When Mouli again came to RGGGH in search of his wife, the hospital staff shooed him away citing a new rule that did not allow attendants inside covid wards. So Mouli was constrained to lodge a complaint with Flower Bazaar police the same day.
On Tuesday, however, the hospital staff alerted police about foul smell emanating from the eighth floor of the covid block (Tower-III), the same block where Sunitha had been admitted. Police found a woman’s decomposed body. The floor had a conference hall which was not in use.
Mouli, who was still searching for his wife, was called to identify if it was his wife. Confirming that it was indeed Sunitha, Mouli broke down and was inconsolable. He said she could have been saved if authorities had taken his complaint seriously and launched a search for her.

Source link

Leave a Reply