Cities

Fed up of illness, woman torches self with sanitizer in Surat | Surat News – Times of India

SURAT: A 75-year-old woman, who had allegedly set herself ablaze by dousing hand sanitizer on Sunday night, succumbed to the severe burns in Surat Municipal Institute of Medical Education and Research (SMIMER).
The victim, Ganga Goswami, had torched herself using the sanitizer that her son had got for her when she was infected with Covid-19 about a month ago. She had also recovered from Covid, but was suffering from illnesses that were causing a lot of body pain.
Police suspect it to be suicide and have started investigation after registering as case of accidental death in Varachha police station
Her family members told police that she was fed-up due to prolonged illnesses and took the extreme step due to unbearable pain. “She was suffering from diabetes and other related illnesses. She was suffering from severe aches as well,” said sources in Varachha police station.
The family told police that they were getting her treatment done properly and had arranged for required medicines, but she got no relief from pain. “She told me on Saturday evening that she had severe pain. We were planning to take her for a check-up on Monday, but before that she took this step,” her son Pravin told TOI.
Pravin, a diamond artisan, said his mother went to the gallery of the apartment and torched herself after dousing sanitizer. “I woke up hearing her screams and rushed to save her. After dousing the fire, we called 108 ambulance,” she said.
“She had recovered from Covid a month ago and I brought the sanitiser when she had tested positive,” he said.
The investigation will continue once the family returns from their native village Bhaguda in Bhavnagar after performing the last rites. Police will register statements of the family members and relatives,” said police.
Goswami had been living with her son’s family for the past few years. Her husband passed away in 1995.



Source link

marathi24news.online

Leave a Reply