Cities

Hyderabad: Man accused in six-year-old’s rape & murder still at large | Hyderabad News – Times of India

HYDERABAD: Despite initial claims by the police and government, the accused in the rape and murder of a 6-year-old girl from Saidabad is still at large.
“No, he is not in custody yet. But we will catch him soon and bring him to justice,” Malakpet ACP Venkata Ramana said.
Altogether 15 special police teams of the commissioner’ task force are scouring the length and breadth of Telangana and border towns to catch the fugitive.
So far, the police have succeeded in securing a CCTV footage from Falaknuma that shows the accused wearing a cap and face mask, while moving along with another person. The task force detained the other person, but he could not reveal much about the fugitive’s whereabouts.
“During interrogation, he claimed that it was on the same day that he first came across the suspect at a construction site. He makes money for the day and moves elsewhere,’’ a source in Hyderabad police told TOI.
“He is a vagabond and never stayed at his Saidabad house permanently. He is not using a mobile phone and so it has become difficult to catch him,” another officer probing the case said, adding that the face mask and cap has made identification a herculean task.
The child was sexually assaulted and murdered on September 9 by the 27-year-old accused who happens to be her neighbour in Saidabad. The girl went missing on Thursday afternoon and the family went to Saidabad police station after a search.
As the neighbour was also missing, the victim’s parents with the support of police went into his house and it was here they found her wrapped in a bedsheet.
‘‘Area a hub of illegal activities’
A case under Pocso Act, rape and murder has been registered. Following the incident, massive protests erupted, leading to pelting of stones too. As a result, additional forces had to be rushed to bring the situation under control.
When police were shifting the victim’s body, protesters obstructed the route, demanding justice besides asking government to pay compensation to her parents. Locals alleged the locality had become a hub of illegal activities and that open sale of liquor led to the heinous crime. While initially Rachakonda’s Addagudur police told media about picking up the suspect, sources confirmed that only family members, including wife and parents, of the accused were taken into custody and shifted to the city.
Meanwhile, Telangana minister KT Rama Rao has expressed deep shock and anguish over the incident. He has also asked the home minister and police force to ensure speedy justice.
(The victim’s identity has not been revealed to protect her privacy as per Supreme court directives on cases related to sexual assault)



Source link

marathi24news.online

Leave a Reply