Cities

mysuru: Stop temple demolitions, will study SC order, says Karnataka CM Basavaraj Bommai | Bengaluru News – Times of India

BENGALURU/MYSURU: Karnataka chief minister Basavaraj Bommai on Tuesday directed district administrations to stop any plans of demolition drive against temples in the state until the government comes up with a directive after studying the Supreme Court order in this regard.
After last week’s demolition drive in Nanjangud, Mysuru district, which evoked sharp reactions from parties and the public, Bommai said the government has asked all deputy commissioners to not take any “hurried and hasty” decision on demolition of temples built on public land.
“We will study the Supreme Court order in detail and issue specific directives in this regard,” he added.
The first directive from the Supreme Court came on September 29, 2009, which asked state governments to demolish illegal religious places constructed on public land. Since the order was not implemented in toto, a series of public interest litigation were filed in the Karnataka high court. The same order was reiterated by the high court last year.
The CM said he will call a cabinet meeting in a day or two with temple demolition as the specific agenda. “We’ll take a clear stand at the meeting,” he said, adding he would give a detailed reply on the issue in the ongoing legislature session.
Earlier in the day, revenue minister R Ashoka hinted that the government will make its stand clear on the issue soon, while reiterating that the court order must be obeyed and the demolition operation should be carried out without hurting the feelings of people.
The CM said a show-cause notice has been issued to the Nanjangud administration on the demolition and added its response was expected within two days. Mysuru deputy commissioner Bagadi Gautham confirmed that the government has sought a report on the demolition of Mahadevamma temple in Uchchagani village in Nanjangud taluk.
In Mysuru, the controversial drive has been paused with the state government seeking a report on the campaign and the Mysuru City Corporation deciding to reassess the list of 93 shrines marked for demolition. A senior corporation officer said they will find out how structures could be saved from demolition.



Source link

marathi24news.online

Leave a Reply